Harry Bertoia was born in San Lorenzo, Italy 1915 but emigrated to USA in 1930. Seven years later her received a scholarship to study at Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
From 1939-43 he was a teacher at the same school in metalworking and print workshop. During this time, he collaborated with Eliel and Eero Saarinen as well as Charles Eames and met Florence Schust (later Knoll). He also started his own artistic activities with mostly prints and jewelry.
In 1943 Bertoia moved to Venice, California where he worked at the Eames Office, with Ray and Charles Eames on the development of plywood furniture for the Evans Products Company. From 1947 to -49 Bertoia worked for the Navy in an experimental workshop, where he among other things made ergonomic studies.
In 1950 Bertoia moved to Pennsylvania where he developed a collection of steel wire furniture for Knoll Associates called the Bertoia Collection. One of them was the sculptural geometric Diamond Chair. The collection was put into production and launched in 1953 and was a major success for Knoll Associates.
During the 1950’s Bertoia worked as a freelance graphic designer and sculptor. He died in 1978 at the age of 63.