Folke Bensow studied architecture at Chalmers University of Technology, in Gothenburg from where he graduated in 1909 and then continued at the Royal Academy of Art in Stockholm until 1912. From 1910 to 1911 he also studied at the Danish Kunstakademien in Copenhagen.
In 1913 he founded his own architectural studio in Stockholm, that he ran until 1930, while also working as a furniture designer. Bensow participated in the Home exhibition at Liljevalchs in 1917, arranged by Svenska Slöjdföreningen, the Swedish Society for Arts, Crafts and Design, today Svensk Form.
The following year he joined the association Verkstaden (eng. The Workshop) that worked for the promotion of artistic works for the Swedish homes. Verkstaden had an exhibition at Liljevalchs and at the Jubilee exhibition in Gothenburg 1923.
In 1921 Bensow won a competition arranged by Svensk Form and the cast iron factory Näfverqvarn with the aim to bring forward new models of fences, fountains, park benches and urns. Bensow´s winning proposal was the Taburett nr 1, completely made of iron with a braided seat and with a décor of palm trees in relief. The tabouret was made in 56 variations but the collection also consisted of other furniture such as sofas. Two years later the second collection by Bensow for Näfverqvarn was launched, including the Taburett nr 2, a lighter version of a tabouret in a neo-classic style with a wooden seat and a shell on its side-panels.
Pieces from both collections were shown in the garden outside the Swedish pavilion at the World exhibition in Paris 1925. Bensow also participated in the Stockholm Exhibiton 1930, where he among other things, designed a milk bar for parks. As an architect Benson is best known for the textile factory in Norrköping (1917), commonly known as the Iron Building due to its shape.
In 1931 Bensow moved back to his hometown of Gothenburg where he began working as an architect and trustee for the brewery group Pripp & Lyckholm, where he stayed until 1953. He died in 1971 at the age of 85.